May 29, 2010

Sycial.com - A Model of Anarchy

This is the story of Sycial.com

It all started with free association. I like the concept of choosing who I want to associate with, and ignoring people who make me feel uncomfortable. I like it so much, that I am very passionate about helping others realize their amazing power of simple choice. I want to spread the word and convince people that life can be a non-zero sum game. I want to remind them that they're not forced to accept a cheater's rules, and that they can instead quit playing with him and start looking for fair players.

That being said, I really like having enemies. It makes me feel really good to know that I have the power to completely reject anyone who's being a bully to me, instead of being trapped in a frustrating game of trying to beat the bully at his own game. Many people would accuse me of being a pussy for "chickening out". They would say things like "life is hard, people are shit... deal with it". And they completely ignore the fact that no, nobody has to deal with this. Maybe you had to deal with bullies in your family, because you had no choice to leave your parents, since you were dependent on them. Maybe you had to deal with bullies in school, because you were obligated to attend. But you don't have to deal with any type of that bullshit, now that you are your own, now that you are an independent individual.

So I made a website where you can make that choice and be vocal about it. It's my way of saying "fuck you" to those who shame me for ditching my old friends and family members. It's a provocative way to get my message out that it's okay to have enemies, because that's the best way to find new friends. Once you label someone your enemy, you make a moral judgment, based on your principles. If you don't make that moral judgment, you'll keep hanging out with the same company, and you'll never get a chance at finding new friends that are any different. Once it's clear to you what your principles are, you'll know what sort of people you would like to have as friends. That's why I made a "Principles" field that users can fill out in their profile.

I think most people judge others by superficial standards, so in my website, I have attempted to accentuate on what I think truly matters about an individual's identity. And it's not their birthday, and it's not their sex. It has nothing to do with height, weight, or eye color. It's their personal beliefs, it's their unique models of the world. It's what drives them to behave the way they do. There is no social networking site that focuses on this raw psychological data, because most people feel that this is too personal to share with others. They've been scared away by shaming people in their environment. They've been told that such things you should keep to yourself. But why keep a social idea, if you cannot share it? Doesn't that defeat its purpose? Is that really freedom of speech?

Most social networking sites censor. My site is uncensored. I don't care if you're a racist, a bigot, a pedophile, or a rapist. Who cares, I'll add you as an enemy. You'll be ostracized and you won't be allowed to bother any of my friends. So go ahead and join. That's what I want the site to be - a working model of an anarchistic society. There's no laws, no censorship. It's all in the hands of the individual. I trust his judgment more than I trust the judgment of the majority. So let's see what happens.

I am really excited about this project. So excited, that I have already been working on it for more than 7 months. So far I've seen little success with the site, and a lack of support. But I'll keep working on it, nonetheless, and I won't give up this time. I'm through giving up. I don't care how many times I'll have to fail. I'll keep working, and I'll keep learning new things until I succeed with this. I was discouraged so many times throughout this process, even by people who I value so dearly. I saw little support, and little understanding. Who cares, I've been through this before, and it always turned out that had I been a bit more patient, I would have reaped the fruits of my labor. I won't be impatient this time.

Once again: Sycial.com
In case you want to join the website:
email me and I will send you an invitation code.