Jul 25, 2008

Positive Thinking

There's nothing wrong with being positive, and I completely support that attitude. The problem is that some people mistake delusion for positivity. When the glass of water is 3/4 empty and you call it half-full, you're not an optimistic person, but rather a liar (calling it 1/4 full would be the right choice). That's just a brief example of how people wanna fool themselves just for the sake of staying positive and avoiding anxiety. But hey, there's a way to face the facts and still be optimistic! And compromise is out of the question. The only requirement is curiousity. "Why" is the best thing in the world. I've been trying to accept my ignorance and explore the reason for the painful emotions I get to experience. Once I've accepted them, the pain gets decreased. Once I find what has truly caused them, they no longer hurt me.

Here's a metaphor that might explain what I mean: You fall down, you break your leg. You try to walk, but it hurts even more. You acknowledge the pain and you decide to sit down and see what's wrong. You look at your leg and your bone is sticking out - now you know the cause. You are shocked when you see the ugly truth, it might even paralyse you for a few minutes. But the adrenaline is pumping, which significantly decreases the pain. Once you get used to the objective fact, it's time for healing. Put yourself back together, avoid the actions that cause you discomfort, and you are back to being healthy. If you were a pessimist, the healing might have never started. But still, it's important that you saw what the problem was. In the case of irrational optimism, you'd be walking with a broken leg, destroying and deforming the bone with each step further, until it's too late and it needs to be amputated.

I lost contact with a lot of friends in the process of healing. I can't run with a cast on, you know. I might seem a bit dark and depressed lately, but owls ain't what they seem. Most of the time I feel pretty great, even though I'm all serious and shit. Recognizing the truth would be hard without skepticism. And long-term happiness requires a strong foundation of facts. You might think I'm crazy now, but when the Big Bad Wolf tries to blow my house down, his huffing and puffing would only make my dick hard.

There's difference between staying positive and acting like you're staying positive.